As the days tick away and the temperatures are rising, boating season is just around the corner at the Chicago Harbors! We’ve been looking forward to this time of year all winter long and have been busy updating the harbors with several improvements and repairs. Take a look below for a harbor by harbor list of what’s new. Please also stay tuned as we’ll be making additional repairs and improvements throughout the boating season!
A reminder: early boaters are allowed to bring their boats into the harbors starting this Friday, April 15. However, the full list of amenities available on the docks will not be available until the official opening of the Chicago Harbors on May 1st.
- At the gas dock, fenders and several wood sections will be repaired to make it safer and easier for boaters to tie to the dock and fuel up.
- The boater bathrooms in the old harbor master office are in the process of being renovated so they’re more pleasant for boater’s to use. This includes updated fixtures, increased functionality, and new paint.
- There is a new card based tender pass system we’re implementing this year that will take the place of the old paper ticket system. Stay tuned for more information later this week.
- The south wave attenuator has been repaired and will be installed next week to help prevent waves from entering through the harbor entrance and protect boats in the southern part of the harbor.
- The East Burnham bathrooms in the Judd Goldman building have been overhauled to make them much more boater friendly. This includes brand new tile and new fixtures that compliment bathroom improvements system wide. As in the past, East Burnham boaters will have access codes to these bathrooms.
- The East Burnham parking lot will be repaired and resurfaced in the next few weeks!
59th Street Harbor:
- The bathrooms at 59th street harbors are being renovated with new fixtures and paint to make them more boater friendly.
- Improved lighting will be installed throughout the parking lot to provide a safer atmosphere at night.
- One dock will have a new prototype stainless steel gate with an electronic access system that will be ready in May. This is a trial system meant to determine the feasability of possibly installing electronic access to the entire Chicago Harbors system.
31st Street Harbor:
- There will be electric car charging stations inside the parking garage for boater use further improving on the harbor’s award-winning green footprint.
- We will be making a change to traffic flow in and out of the parking garage this year. Stay tuned for more information later this week.
Jackson Park Outer:
- We are installing new anchors and chains for B-dock and have shortened the dock by 4 slips. We’ll have this work completed by May 1st.